Do you want to spend a weekend abroad with your family? Siena is an ideal place to visit with kids. A little town in the middle of Tuscany, Siena is still a symbol of the Middle Ages and of the Palio, rich in art, culture and history.
So, what to do in Siena with kids? We suggest you five kids-friendly activities which will entertain every family member.
- Art Museum for Kids: It is located just opposite of the Duomo, near the Museum “Santa Maria alla Scala”. It is the best attraction to visit with kids since it’s addressed specifically to them. It features more than 400 works of different historical periods, all linked to the theme of childhood. You may also find the “Graffiti Area”, a space where lively kids can express their creativity without worries. Opening hours: everyday 10.30 alle 18.00 Ticket prices: free entrance for kids under 11 years old, 6€ for adults and kids over 11. There are also other guided tours for kids (A Piccoli Passi), departing from this museum, from October 2017 to February 2018.
- Orto de’ Pecci (Pecci Garden): Located in Via Porta Giustizia 39, a 2 minutes walk from Piazza del Campo, it is a big green space in a valley which overlooks the city. Orto de’ Pecci is the green lung of Siena, featuring a big lawn, a fish tank and a fenced area with goats, donkeys and peacocks . Walking through the park, you might also meet some of the animals which do not live in the fenced area. It is possible to dine at the restaurant located inside the Orto.
- Natural History Museum: Located in Piazzetta Silvio Gigli 2. It is made up by five different sections: Geo-Mineralogy, Paleontology, Botany, Anatomy, Zoology. Do not miss the embalmed animals – birds, fish, lions- the fossils, the rocks and the minerals. The Paleontology section is really interesting thanks to the presence of utensils made of copper and bronze. Opening hours: Monday to Thursday 09:00-13:00 and 15:00-20:00, free entrance.
- SienaFrancigenaKids: Siena was one of the most important stops whitin Via Francigena. With the “SienaFrancigenaKids” tour, kids can follow the steps of medieval pilgrims, guided by a nanny dressed up like it was during the Middle Ages, who tells them more about the history of Via Francigena. She guides the kids inside the Hospital, where the pilgrims were assisted; then they head off to Piazza del Campo, with the final stop being Porta Romana. SienaFrancigenaKids usually takes place in February. The ticket is 7,50€ for kids up until 14 years old and 10€ for chaperons.
- Botanical Garden: On Saturdays and Sundays, from 10 to 16, you can join the treasure hunt. Kids get a map with all the plants they have to find inside the Orto Botanico. This is a fun activity to discover different habitat. Tickets: single ticket 5€, family ticket 10€. Free entrance for kids under 12 years old.
If you are looking for a kid-friendly hotel, Borgo Grondaie is just 1,5 km from the city center. It has apartments, perfect for family holidays, a free private parking, a swimming pool and a huge garden for your kids to play. Check on our website our new offers.
For further information on activities to do with kids in Siena please visit http://www.enjoysiena.it/.
Edited by Hotel Borgo Grondaie