Posts Tagged ‘museum’

THE DALI ‘UNIVERSE – FLORENCE (February 1st – May 25th , 2013)

mostra dali firenze THE DALI UNIVERSE   FLORENCE (February 1st   May 25th , 2013)

 

Hotel Siena Borgo Grondaie suggests an opportunity not to be missed!
In Florence, few miles from Siena, more precisely in Riccardi Palace, the exhibition “The Dali Universe” was recently inaugurated, thanks to which you can admire more than 100 works by the  most famous surrealist artist Salvador Dali.
The exhibition, dedicated to the Spanish master and open to the public until May 25th, is mainly focused on the theme of time and femininity, but thanks to this show some new artist’s features come to light as the man fond of literature who reinterprets contemporary   works in a surrealist way but also great classical masterpieces as the Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri or Boccaccio’s Decameron.
Another  part of the exhibition is dedicated to the exploration of  the three-dimensional work that materializes in bronze sculptures, objects in glass and surrealist furniture.
Openings hours: all day from 9am to 7pm
Source: 1) Firenze Turismo  - 2) Vogue
Posted By: www.hotelsienaborgogrondaie.com

Likesup THE DALI UNIVERSE   FLORENCE (February 1st   May 25th , 2013)(0)Dislikesdown THE DALI UNIVERSE   FLORENCE (February 1st   May 25th , 2013)(0)

PALAZZO PUBBLICO (CITY HALL) OF SIENA

facciata palazzo pubblico imgzoom PALAZZO PUBBLICO (CITY HALL) OF SIENA

Hotel Siena Borgo Grondaie continues the study of the history of Sienatalking about Palazzo Pubblico, whose development is closely linked to that of the Campo Square(Piazza del Campo).
The space of the square was used for fairs and markets until 1270 with the “Government of Twenty-Four Delegates”, but dropped this; the next “Government of the Nine” (1287-1355) began to think of a neutral location for the city government because until then the Council met inside churches or palaces of noble families. With the construction of the new building, the palace became the heart of any business and the big space that the building removed from the valley became the most important public place for all most significant events.
The original core of the building, consisting of a simple stone façade on one floor and with four breaches, was completed in 1284 and already included the Customs (oil and salt) and the Mint.
In 1297 it began the construction of the real central part of the building not so much different from what it is today and that is the ground floor in stone with four lancet openings, the first, the second and the last floor made of bricks with mullioned windows. The Guelph battlement is composed by nine merlons in memory of the glorious “Government of the Nine”. In this period the City issued a lot of laws (that are considered the earliest city plan of our time) in order to respect and standardize esthetic rules for anyone who intended to build a new building.
The main building dates back to 1305 and the extension of the same with the addition of two wings was completed in 1310 (during which the Government of Nine settled there), although the second floor of both wings was built in 1680 in the middle of the baroque era.
It ‘duty to mention an extension of the building carried on the right wing in 1325; thanks to this extension it was possible to use basements as prisons and provide a larger room for the Grand Council, later, in 1560, this room was transformed into a theater which still exists (Rinnovati Theater) after repeated repairs because of damage caused by numerous fires and earthquakes. The restructuring in 1325 allowed to give space to the storehouse for the salt (a very important substance at that time because the only one for food preservation and whose trade was of vital importance to the economy ofSiena). Today, these rooms are used for temporary art exhibitions.
Also in 1325 Siena began the construction of the Torre Del Mangia…. but that’s another story.

See you next time!

Posted By: www.hotelsienaborgogrondaie.com

 

 

Likesup PALAZZO PUBBLICO (CITY HALL) OF SIENA(0)Dislikesdown PALAZZO PUBBLICO (CITY HALL) OF SIENA(0)

THE FIFTH CENTENARY OF THE SISTINA CHAPEL. ROMA.Vatican Museum.

Cappella Sistina 586x390 THE FIFTH CENTENARY OF THE SISTINA CHAPEL. ROMA.Vatican Museum.

Hotel Siena Borgo Grondaie makes best wishes to the Sistina Chapel for its wonderful 500 years! Five centuries later, this masterpiece is still admired by 5 millions people a year with peaks of 20.000 tourists a day. The Chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary of the Assumption, owes its name to the Pope Sisto IV who wanted to build an opulent room to accommodate the meetings of thePapal Court. When, in 1481, the architectonic structure was completed, famous artists such as Perugino, Pinturicchio, Sandro Botticelli, started painting the side walls of the Chapel where, from the bottom to top, it is possible to admire frescoes that look like tapestries, Moses and Jesus’ life stories (Old and New Testament) and representations of the martyred Popes. It was up to the successor of Sisto IV, Pope Giulio II, to complete the decorations for which he called Michelangelo Buonarroti . At first Michelangelo, who already had produced at that time very important works like “The David” and “The Piety”, was hesitant because he considered himself a sculptor and not a painter, but then he agreed  to fresco the Vault of the Chapel. He started his masterpiece in 1508 working on a scaffold 20 meters(65 feet) high. He painted a 40 meters(131 feet) long and 13 meters(42 feet) wide surface always having his head facing upward. On October, 31st 1512 Michelangelo “gave his work back” to the Pope Giulio II who inaugurated the Chapel during the Vespers dedicated to the All Saints Day. All the frescoes painted by Michelangelo reproduce stories from the Old Testament as the “Genesis” , the “Creation of Adam and Eve”, the “Original Sin”, the “Fall fromParadise”. The most famous is without doubt the Creation of Adam (who does not have in mind the image of the hand of God that lets the Adam’s one going of ?). From 1536 to 1541 Michelangelo also completed the decoration of the wall behind the Altar representing the “Last Judgement”. The Sistina Chapel has undergone an important renovation completed in 1994 which has brought to light very bright colours so much to completely change the idea (which once thought) that Michelangelo was interested in drawing than in colours.

 Mr. Antonio Paolucci, director of the Vatican Museums, reminds us that this place so full of charm, both for the magnificence and for what it represents ( it’s the place where cardinals elect Pope), is nevertheless exposed to hazards such as dusts, temperature and the carbon dioxide emitted by the millions of visitors. That’s the reason why it is hoped that in 2013 the dream of using a new air conditioning system (that allows to break down polluting agents, dusts and controls humidity)  becomes reality.        

 We really hope so…..at least for the next 500 years!!!

 

Posted by: www.hotelsienaborgogrondaie.com

 

Likesup THE FIFTH CENTENARY OF THE SISTINA CHAPEL. ROMA.Vatican Museum.(0)Dislikesdown THE FIFTH CENTENARY OF THE SISTINA CHAPEL. ROMA.Vatican Museum.(0)