Posts Tagged ‘markets’
On December, 15th and 16th in Siena and more precisely in the heart of the city, in the beautiful Piazza del Campo, an extraordinary event will come back: “the market in the Campo Square,” a real modern market that, both in terms of products or the arrangement of the sales counters (which will be a copy of those of the past), will propose an image of what the city market at the time of the Republic of Siena was. Two whole days to admire and taste the tradition of Siena with the quality of today.
In the thirteenth century, the “big market”, which took place once a week in the square, was the main source of supply but also a place of social relations and important area of trade. The small farmers from the countryside and craftsmen were so numerous that at some point it became necessary to reorganize the market to make it less chaotic adopting a specific placement that will be reproduced during the event, in fact there will be a food area (once the queen of the market was the “treccola” , she who sold fruits and vegetables, legumes as well as milk and cheese, poultry and game) and another area dedicated to crafts (among the most known craftsmen were tanners, baskets makers, cobblers, sellers of barrels). In today’s market it will be possible to find other excellence of the territory as producers of wine, saffron, bakers, goldsmiths, bookbinders and many others. Some craftsmen will perform live their creations and, as once part of the square was reserved for entertainment, games and activities will be organized to involve also the children.
On the occasion of the event it will be possible take guided tours at a cost of € 5.00 (free for children up to 11 years) to discover places of taste which ,over time, have distinguished Siena. Departure for the visits is scheduled at 11a.m. and 4p.m. from the information desk.
Some restaurants in the city will take part in the event offering typical food:
- ALL’ORTO DE PECCI (“pici” with garlic) pici, gnocchi and pappardelle are typical kind of pasta
- CASATO ENORISTORANTE ( “polenta” with wild boar) polenta is cornmeal mush
- FONTE GAIA ( red gnocchi with potatoes and beetroot served with black cabbage and sausage)
- FORI PORTA (sausages and beans with” polenta” and mushrooms)
- GROTTA DEL GALLO NERO (“pici “with wild boar and wild boar stew)
- BAGOGA (pork stew)
- IL RIALTO (braised beef cooked with chianti wine with mashed potatoes)
- IL BANDIERINO (“pici” with cheese and pepper)
- LA BIRRERIA (pasta with “cinta senese” pig sauce)
- LA BUCA DI SAN PIETRO ( “pici” with black cabbage, crumbs and pecorino cheese)
- LA CHIACCHIERA ( stew with potatoes)
- LA FINESTRA ( wild boar with grape and apples)
- LA MOSSA (“senese” tripe)
- LA SPERANZA (wild boar)
- MILLEVINI (braised beef with “polenta” pie)
- MUGOLONE (chicken with “sangiovese” grapes or wild boar in “ dolce forte” sauce)
- OSTERIA BABAZUF ( vegetable soup with meat balls)
- TRATTORIA DELL’OSTE MEZZO AL GIUGGIOLO ( “pappardelle” with wild boar sauce).
Posted by: www.hotelsienaborgogrondaie.com