Posts Tagged ‘campo square’
Following the procedure of previous posts about Piazza del Campo (Campo Square), we can not forget Fonte Gaia (Gaia Fountain).
In 1343 the Government of “Nine Delegated” decided to bring water to the Campo Square.
The first fountain was inaugurated in the general joy of the citizens ( hence seems to derive the name Gaia = joyful).
Placed in the upper part of the square, the fountain was fed by a subterranean water system still known today as the “bottini of Siena”.
In the early years of the Fifteenth century, more precisely from 1409 to1419, the fountain was replaced by that of Jacopo della Quercia. His work remains one of the most important masterpiece in the sculpture of the Fifteenth century in a period of transition from Gothic to Renaissance.
Jacopo della Quercia placed in the middle of the fountain the marble statues representing Virgin Mary and Jeus with two angels which are followed by Theological Virtues, Cardinal Virtues and Justice; later he added other sculpters depicting the Creation of Adam and the Fall from Paradise;
in the end the two statues representing Acca Larentia and Rea Silvia (Romolo and Remo’s mother and nurce).The marble statues made by Jacopo della Quercia remained in the Campo Square until
the mid-nineteenth century when, outworn by then, they were replaced by copies (the ones we see today) made by Tito Sarrocchi.
The originals are now in a room of The Museum “Santa Maria della Scala” in front of the Cathedral of Siena.
From the book: “Tutta Siena contrada per contrada” by Piero Torriti
Posted by: www.hotelsienaborgogrondaie.com
Hotel Siena Borgo Grondaie dedicates this post to the Chapel of the Piazza del Campo, a marble building that stands beneath the Torre del Mangia in the forward position to the facade of City Hall.
Siena ordered its construction in 1352, after a vow made because of the terrible pestilence of 1348, which “froze” in Siena many works in progress. The construction of the chapel continued until late fifteenth century. The four corner pilasters were erected, in the same way we can see today, in 1378 and above them there was just a wooden roof replaced, during the Renaissance, by a marble vault supported by arches with niches at the corners and a lintel depicting a classic series of griffins .
Inside the fourteenth-century niches marble statues were placed and today it is possible to admire those that remain representing S. Peter, S. James, S. John the Evangelist and S. Thomas.
The wrought iron railing, located at the sides of the chapel, dates back to the fourteenth century and seems to be the old railing of the first chapel of the Government of the” Nine” in City Hall.
To the left of the altar there is a tabernacle in stone depicting the Annunciation and Jesus blessing while above the altar, unfortunately just few traces remain of the fresco made by Sodoma between 1537 and 1539 depicting the Madonna with Child and Angels and God.
This Chapel is still protagonist of moments particularly felt by people from Siena, especially for the so-called “Mass of the jockey” that is celebrated in the early morning of every July 2nd and August 16th (the days of the most famous horse race in the world i.e. the Palio) before the last trial also called the “provaccia”.
From the Book: “Tutta Siena Contrada per Contrada” by Piero Torriti.
Posted By: www.hotelsienaborgogrondaie.com