Do you want to visit Tuscany but you don’t know where to go? Florence, Pisa, Lucca and Arezzo are all beautiful towns but let us tell you why you should choose Siena as your destination!
Siena is a small town located in the middle of Tuscany, which has a lot to offer from the artistic, historical and traditional point of view. Here there are 5 reasons why you should visit Siena.
- PALIO: Siena is worldwide famous for the Palio horse race, which takes place twice a year (July 2 and August 16) in the Campo Square. This tradition dates back to 1600 and keeps Sienese people busy all year round. 10 of 17 contrade challenge each other to win a growing exiciting race around the square. Watching at the Palio in the Campo Square is really touching, as you can really feel the passion for this event.
- ARTISTIC HERITAGE: The Sienese historic center is among the UNESCO World Heritage sites, thanks to its medieval architecture. Strolling through the city center, you get the feeling that you are living in the Middle Ages. Piazza del Campo and Duomo are two of the main examples of Siena’s artistic heritage. The first one, for its peculiar shape, whereas the second one is a great example of mixed artistic styles (Romanic and Gothic).
- LOCAL COLD CUTS AND CHEESE: If you visit Siena, you must try a mix of local cold cuts, called “Cinta Senese”. Siena is the perfect destination for every food lover, but especially for the cheese addicted. The best ones are Pecorino di Pienza and Pecorino delle Crete Senesi. Every cheese is made with local milk.
- WINE: Siena is surrounded by a fertile land which allows locals to produce different types of wine. The most famous ones are Brunello and Rosso di Montalcino, Nobile di Montepulciano, Chianti Classico, Chianti Colli Senesi and Vernaccia. We suggest you to take a wine tour in one or more production areas. You can taste wines and visit the cellars. If you want to do some shopping bottles can be shipped everywhere!
- PASTA: Pici are the type of fresh pasta made in Siena. They are similar to spaghetti but thicker. Try them with “cacio and pepe”.
If you are looking for a hotel in Siena, we suggest you Borgo Grondaie. Just 1,5 km far from Siena’s city center, it offers both rooms and apartments, and it has a big parking lot. See our best offers for 2018!
Edited by Borgo Grondaie